Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Lecture: Battle for the Bay
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM (EDT)
Battle for the Bay: The Naval War of 1812, Joshua M. Smith
While the naval battles of the War of 1812 played out on the high seas and the Great Lakes, a fierce struggle raged between privateers and small government vessels in the Bay of Fundy and the Gulf of Maine. Historian Joshua Smith, a professor at the Merchant Marine Academy, brings this little-known struggle to life, and illuminates the careers of the small but powerful vessels that fought the in-shore war at sea.
Reserve a copy of Battle for the Bay with your reservation, to be signed by the author and available at the lecture. Prices include Museum member discount and ME state tax. (Books must be picked up at the Museum; no shipping is available).
When & Where
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum offers a myriad of opportunities to explore Maine’s maritime heritage and culture and to experience the mystique of Maine.
Visitors can find:
- -fascinating exhibits brimming with art and artifacts
- -contemporary, interactive areas for children and adults
- -an historic shipyard with five of the original 19th century buildings
- -a Victorian-era shipyard owners home
- -an active waterfront
- -a life-size sculptural representation of the largest wooden sailing vessel ever built
- -a scenic campus on the bank of the Kennebec River